|1851 - St. Charles and Western Plank Road Company established. Its purpose was to build a toll road of wooden planks along Boone's Lick Road to the western part of the county.|
St. Charles Historic Districts listed on the National Register of Historic Places contain over 300 buildings. The first Historic District designation was in 1970.
St. Charles has 10 buildings individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places:
Missouri First State Capitol - placed 1969